New Ebola cases in first 2015 rise
The number of new cases of Ebola went up in all three of West Africa’s worst-hit countries in the last week of January, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.
It is the first weekly increase in 2015, ending a series of encouraging declines.
The WHO says Sierra Leone registered 80 of the 124 new cases, Guinea 39 and Liberia the remaining five.
Almost 9,000 people have died from Ebola since December 2013.
Dr David Nabarro, the United Nations special envoy on Ebola, said the small rise in Ebola cases was a concern but they knew there would be flare-ups.
WHO emphasised the need to step up efforts before the start of the April-May rainy season, when downpours can block roads and make it difficult for health teams to travel.