MPs Get Shs20m Each For Age Limit, Opposition Refuses It
- Members of Parliament will each pocket Shs20m as facilitation to consult their respective constituents on whether to lift the presidential age limit or not.
- This follows a private members bill tabled by Igara West MP Raphael Magyezi seeking for the scrapping of the age limit clause from the constitution.
- After tabling the bill this week, the Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga, advised the MPs to first consult with the people before debating or passing it.
- She referred the bill to the Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Committee for further scrutiny.
- According to government chief whip, Ruth Nankabirwa, the Parliamentary Commission will facilitate the MPs to consult voters on the matter but is still gauging how much money to give each.
- She said the money will be extended to opposition MPs as well because the matter regarding the constitution concerns everyone.