Marijuana birthday cake sends 11 Madrid students to hospital
At around 2:45 a.m. on Sunday morning, an unconscious young man was transferred to the Rural Care Service Villanueva de la Cañada after ingesting the cake containing marijuana. As he was unresponsive and in a coma, he was then transferred to SUMMA Puerta de Hierro Hospital.
Of the other partygoers, all males aged from 19 to 22 years, 10 of them were treated at the Puerta del Hierro Hospital for symptoms including euphoria, red eyes and tachycardia (a faster than normal heart rate).
Some of the students live in the campus residence and others in the village of Villanueva de la Cañada, as well as other areas of Madrid. As there are no kitchen facilities available to the students at the in-house residence, the cake had been baked in one of the houses off campus and brought to the university.
During the birthday party, the students each ate some of the cake. According to the Guardia Civil who interviewed the students, those affected began to feel ill shortly after eating the cake. However, besides the seriously affected student who is still in a coma, most of them improved within a few hours.
Security services at the university acted promptly to transfer the affected students to the hospital and immediately advised their families.
According to a fellow student in the residence, who is studying to be a veterinarian, the incident was a “mistake” committed by a group of students and that this kind of incident had never happened before in the University.
Meanwhile Domínguez de Posada has said that once the medical issue is resolved, as well as questioning by the Guardia Civil, the university will be fully investigating the incident and there is a possibility of permanent or temporary expulsions