Mancini takes out newspaper ad to thank City fans
Roberto Mancini and the ad he placed in the Manchester Evening News
Roberto Mancini has taken out a full page ad in Saturday’s Manchester Evening News to thank Manchester City fans for his time at the club.
The Italian, who joined the club in late 2009, won the FA Cup in 2011, the Premier League title last season and the Community Shield at the start of this season but was still sacked earlier this week.
His ad carries a picture of him with the three trophies he won and the message: “Manchester City Supporters – 3 unforgettable years. You will always be in my heart. Ciao. Roberto Mancini.
The sacking of Mancini has been met with widespread dismay by Manchester City fans and the ad again shows the strong bond between the Italian and the team’s supporters.
The Italian had considerable support in the stands and that was evident at the FA Cup final at Wembley on Saturday when, amid rumours over his future, his name was chanted regularly.
The news of Mancini’s departure broke on the anniversary of last year’s dramatic Premier League title success which added to the gloom of City fans.
Kevin Parker, general secretary of the Manchester City Supporters Club, said: “After the weekend I think we were all expecting it to happen but I think we are all a bit disappointed it happened yesterday of all days – the anniversary of when we won the Premier League.”
Parker added: “All those fantastic memories we have of May 13, 2012 – that date is a special date for City fans and that’s been a little bit tarnished. We’re definitely all disappointed.
“It is unbelievable. The club have said the targets set haven’t been met, but finishing second in the Premier League and losing finalists in the FA Cup would suggest those targets might have been unachievable. Does that mean we had to win the Premier League and win the FA Cup? I’m not sure.”