Manchester United’s chance of signing Sergio Ramos are fading fast after the player was told that under no circumstances would he be able to leave Real Madrid this summer.
In late night talks in Guangzhou, China, Ramos and his brother and agent Rene Ramos were informed face to face by the club’s president Florentino Perez that his move to England would not be happening.
Real have also offered him an improved contract that takes him closer to the £10million net deal he has been demanding for the last year. He must now decide whether or not to put pen to paper or see out the two years left on his contract and leave as a free agent in 2017.
Spanish newspaper Marca have dedicated their front page on Monday to the transfer saga, and report that Perez will sort out Ramos’s future before turning his attention to David de Gea.
Ramos has two years remaining on his current contract, but reportedly told Madrid he wanted to leave for Manchester.
Rafa Benitez insisted on Thursday that Ramos was ‘100 per cent not leaving’, but the manager refused to rule out a move for De Gea.
United already had a £28million offer for Ramos rejected and insisted the Spain defender must be included in any negotiations over the Madrid-born goalkeeper.
There has been a £200,000-per-week deal on the table for De Gea at United since early July but the Barclays Premier League club have lost hope that the 24-year-old would take up the option.
Van Gaal, however, is prepared to let £35m-rated De Gea leave for free in a year’s time rather than succumbing to Real’s demands this summer without getting Ramos in return.
United are understood to have previously urged the defender to publicly declare he wants to leave Real in order to force the transfer, but Perez will aim to change his mind during negotiations.
Nicolas Otamendi is an alternative option for Van Gaal, and the Valencia centre back previously threatened to go AWOL from training until his future was resolved.