Huge fire engulfs a Nairobi restaurant.
NAIROBI, KENYA: A huge fire has razed down a building floor that was set to host the New Florida Restaurant in Emperor Plaza, next to the GPO Post Office, Nairobi. The almost complete restaurant which was set to be open in June this year was burnt to ashes in the Saturday 9 o ’clock fire that took fire brigade personnel from the Nairobi City County and other private companies over an hour to contain.
Huge smoke billowed over the roof of the building that also houses a laundry and the Bakers Inn restaurant. At one point, the fire threatened to get out of control and spread to the nearby Shell Petrol station.
Fire personnel from the private companies struggled helped contain the fire as City council fire brigade workers ran out of water within minutes of arriving at the scene. Police battled to keep away milling crowds.
The restaurant would have been the third Florida establishment in the city. Eyewitnesses and workers who were working in the area said the fire started from welding operations being carried out by a group of workers subcontracted by a Chinese company working in the building.
“The flames quickly caught mattresses which were acting as sound proof material within the building and quickly spread to other areas of the building,” said Wycliffe Moyi, one of the welders’ worker who was inside the building when the fire started confirmed.
On the lower floor of the building, which miraculously survived the fire, workers struggled to put out the fire using buckets of water after discovering that fire extinguishers had been locked in one of the stores.
One of the two proprietors of the burnt out building, who was only identified as Alvin paced up and down the building trying to come to terms with the o estimated at millions of shillings.