Ebola death toll passes 500, confrims health ministry in Democratic Republic of Congo.
More than 500 people have died from the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but a vaccination programme has prevented thousands of more deaths, the country’s health minister said.
“In total, there have been 502 deaths and 271 people cured,” said a health ministry bulletin published late on Friday, reporting on the outbreak in the east of the country.
But Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga said that, for the first time, a vaccination programme had protected 76,425 people and prevented “thousands” of deaths.
The outbreak started last August in the North Kivu region, which borders Uganda and Rwanda.
The Spanish wing of the aid agency Doctors Without Borders, known by its French initials MSF, reported on Twitter on Saturday that there had been a surge in cases since January 15.
Rwanda, Uganda and South Sudan in the north were all now on alert, it added.
Ebola is a serious infectious disease that can spread rapidly through small amounts of bodily fluid, causing internal bleeding and potentially death.