Cabinet, NRM party Caucus to decide on the fate of new municipalities
- The Cabinet and NRM party Caucus are set to convene separately next week to decide on the fate of new municipalities that has become controversial in Parliament.
- Members of Parliament for the second day on Thursday rejected passing a resolution for the upgrading of 12 town councils to municipality status pending clearance of new districts as earlier promised by government.
- The government on Wednesday through the minister of Local Government, Adolf Mwesige moved a motion in the house asking for the resolution to complete the process.
- The debate however, turned dramatic when MPs resurrected the unfulfilled government promise of creating several new districts.
- Early this year , minister Adolf Mwesigye moved a motion asking for the creation of 20 districts of Kagadi, Kakumiro, Omoro, Namisindwa, Pakwach, Butebo, Rukiga, Rubanda, Kitagwenda and Kyotera. Others are Kyadondo, Nabilatuk, Bugweri, Kasanda, Bunyangabu, Kwania, Kapelebyong, Obongi, Kazo, Rwampara, Kikuube, Madi Okollo,
Kihiihi and two to be created from Kasese district.