Bayern Munich ‘set to launch bid for Liverpool’s Luis Suarez’
In demand: Suarez is being courted by a clutch of top European clubs
Liverpool have reportedly put themselves on red alert to ward off moves from new European champions Bayern Munich to lure star striker Luis Suarez to Germany.
The Reds are determined to rebuke alleged offers of up to £40million from the German title winners, who are said to be ready to go head-to-head with Spanish giants Real Madrid to lure the Uruguayan hit-man.
The 26-year-old, who will miss the Reds’ first six games of next season through suspension, is being courted by a host of top European clubs after netting 33 goals in all competitions last term.
Suarez still has three years remaining on his Anfield contract but another season without Champions League football may convince him he needs to quit Merseyside.
It has been reported that Madrid have already contacted Suarez’s agent about a possible move but Bayern could now come into the reckoning as they look to build on Saturday’s Champions League success with new boss Pep Guardiola taking charge in the summer and determined to strengthen his attacking options.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers expects Suarez to stay with the club but has admitted every player has his price.
‘There’s certainly no pressure for the club to sell him. We’re trying to build that bit of quality so he’s not for sale,’ he said last week.
But with Suarez seen as one of the hottest properties in European football, speculation will continue to mount during the transfer window.
It has also been suggested that Manuel Pellegrini will look to make Suarez his first signing for Manchester City, if as expected he joins the club this summer, with Edin Dzeko possibly being offered in a player-plus-cash deal.